NOTICE:
  • The website is currently undergoing some updates.
Sign in to follow this  
Dakota

Morale Patch

While I sit at work between runs I play on Photoshop and Illustrator to pass time. Here's a morale patch based on one I saw on Google with a famous Spartan saying.

"With your shield or on it" - Said to be the parting words of Spartan mothers to their sons when departing for battle. Meaning, come back with your shield victorious, or come back being carried on your shield having died gloriously  in battle. (Surviving a lost battle was one of the worst things you could do)

wysooi.png.cc00d46fccdf48652cd3dafb8242a

I will play with this more when I get home on my desktop as that is where all my other graphic resources are and I will be posting a little resource kit for making signatures and other SPARTAC graphics soon. 

Other cool sayings: 

Herodotus reports that just before the Battle of Thermoplyae, a Spartan warrior named Dienekes was told that the Persian archers could blank out the sun with their arrows. He replied "Good, then we shall have our battle in the shade."

A Sybarite, who ate at a public mess, once remarked: "Now I know why the Spartans do not fear death."

Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220)

An old man wandering around the Olympic Games looking for a seat was jeered at by the crowd until he reached the seats of the Spartans, whereupon every Spartan younger than him, and some that were older, stood up and offered him their seat. The crowd applauded and the old man turned to them with a sigh, saying "All Greeks know what is right, but only the Spartans do it."

• Like 2